Monday, September 24, 2012

Parmesan Crusted Squash and Eggplant

Guess I haven't posted in awhile, naughty me. Although I can happily say, with the exception of the crab apple wine in the making, I am done with fruit, or at least I hope so. 

Anyhow, thought I would share this easy quick recipe I did for supper this evening. I have plenty of Japanese Eggplant growing in my garden and still have some squash. Well time to use it up and I love both. So I wanted to do something baked with them for supper. 

Well here goes....

Parmesan Crusted Baked Squash and Eggplant

2 medium summer squash or zucchini
2 medium Japanese Eggplant
1 cup Enjoy Life crispy rice cereal
2 Tbl potato starch
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup buttermilk or coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbl Mrs Dash or herb mix of your choice

Heat the oven to 475 degrees F.
Wash and trim ends of the squash and eggplant. Slice both lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick. 
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly oil the parchment with olive oil.
Crush the cereal and put in a bowl with starch, parmesan, salt, pepper and Mrs Dash. Mix well. 
Put the butter milk in a shallow dish.
Dip the vegetable slices in the buttermilk and then in the cereal parmesan mixture, coat well and place on the prepared baking sheets. 
bake for 30 miutes until golden and crispy and the veggies are tender.
Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce if you like. 

I meant to take pictures, well, they didn't make it long enough for that. It is a quick and simple recipe and a good way for kids to get their veggies. And no slimey eggplant and they are crispy. I figure even those who claim they don't like eggplant, will like it this way.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lisa! I think I'll try this out the next time I go to the grocery store! I haven't made eggplant in ages and this sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete