Friday, September 14, 2012

Buttermilk Brownies!

Ahhhhh, Autumn has arrived, time for those warm comfort foods, like soups and creamy baked things. Although I must confess that a good brownie is welcome at any time of the year.

Therefore the topic of today's post. I needed to make some thing last night for a potluck at work today, and when I volunteered to bring a GF item, everyone asked for my Buttermilk Brownies. For some odd reason when I take them in to share at work, they don't last very long. Gee, wonder why???


This recipe I can't take the full credit for, as a dear friend from Germany, Claudia Rapp shared the original recipe with me. However, I did convert it to Gluten-free and decided on almonds on mine as they're my favorite nut. I've also made it dairy free as I don't tolerate dairy as well as I once used to.

This is the brand of Cacao or Cocoa powder I use. My dear friend and chef who runs the food services here at work at the college gets this for me and turned me on to it. It is probably the MOST heavenly cocoa powder I have ever had or used!

They have several varieties, but the Brute is my favorite, and by itself it smells so delicious. Where to get it? I know you can order some on Amazon, but this specific one he gets for me through his suppliers. So you might be able to get it through a good bakery or restaurant at their cost. Trust me, it's worth it, very worth it. And it makes the most decadent Velvet cakes and cookies!

Ok, I guess I should move on to the recipe, it's early morning yet, and now my mouth is craving chocolate!


Buttermilk Brownies

1 cup unsalted butter or margarine, or 3/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup dark organic cocoa powder (I use the Barry's)
1 cup water
2 cups (280g) sifted GF flour mix (use your favorite, I use my cake flour mix)
2 cups sugar or 2/3 cup dark raw agave nectar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 slightly beaten eggs, or flax or chia gel to equal 2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk, or Coconut Milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (pure)

1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped nuts (optional)

In a medium sized sauce pot, combine water, cocoa and butter or oil. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat while stirring constantly, when it starts to boil, remove from the heat.
In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, salt, baking soda and sugar together (if using agave hold it aside).
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and vanilla, (add the agave if using it) whisk till blended and add the egg mixture to the flour mix. Blend well and slowly add in the cocoa mixture, mix till combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, but don't over mix.
Grease a 15x10 inch pan, pour in the mixture and smooth out. Yes it will be a bit more liquid than you expect.
If you are adding nuts, sprinkle them over the top. You can also add dried cherries if you like, about 1/2 cup.

Bake at 375 degrees F (if using agave bake at 350 degrees) for 20 minutes or until done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No one would know that these are Gluten-free or even dairy free! And I bet they won't last long around your house. They may be a bit more cake like than the heavy "brownie" people have come to expect. Sorry, I'm not into gooey mush. I much prefer these! And until I made these I never liked brownies! Now I'm a convert, er, rather an addict!


No comments:

Post a Comment