Sunday, January 18, 2015

Loving foods - Tinga de Pollo recipe

It's no secret, I love good foods, foods that have depth of flavors, easy to make and that feeling of contentment when others enjoy the fruits of your labor. I also love surprising friends and family with new dishes and flavors.

Such is this recipe. I have loved traditional Mexican dishes for many years now. I probably love them more than most New Mexican dishes, and I certainly prefer them over Tex-Mex style foods. The traditional dishes are so full of flavor, a nice warmth from the peppers and spices, and they are comfort foods.

Any how, I made this dish, (one of my favorites) for a friend's Mexican food themed pot luck birthday supper. I believe everyone enjoyed it as I didn't have too much in the way of left overs!

It is probably one of my favorites, and I got hooked on it when a friend of mine in Santa Fe had a restaurant for a brief time and this was on her menu. YUM!

And yes, it is gluten-free, and no, sorry, I forgot to get pictures. But trust me, make it for yourself and fall in love..... :)

Tinga de Pollo

2-3 Boneless chicken Breasts
2 cloves, whole
2 cloves of garlic smashed
Simmer the chicken with the cloves and garlic in water, just enough to cover, until very tender and easily shredded.


4 large cloves of garlic - minced
2 tomatoes, roasted
5 chipotles en adobo
2 Tbl adobo sauce
1 cup chicken stock
2 tsp cumin (I prefer to use one tsp)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp marjoram
2 Tbl olive oil
1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced
1 large roasted anaheim green chili, peeled and roughly chopped

Blend together the roasted tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, stock, and spices until smooth.
In a medium stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat and saute the minced garlic and onions until soft.
Add the tomato mix and bring to a simmer for one minute.
Add the chicken and the chopped green chili, reduce heat to low and let simmer until sauce is reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with rice or tortillas for soft tacos.

Though I do need to warn you, this dish does have some heat, but it's not so hot that you can't taste the flavors. If you want it milder, leave out the green chili.

And I managed to make some nice flexible soft tortillas for myself that are not only gluten-free, but corn-free also. They stayed pretty soft and pliable, tasted very good though I am not sure they're the best for soft tacos. I may have to play with them a bit more to see how to get them to stand up for tacos. But they were good! Despite using a store bought flour mix! No sticky dough and easy to handle.

Soft GF flour tortillas

2 1/2 cups flour blend (I used Mama's Almond flour blend)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup lard or coconut oil
1 cup hot water

mix the dry together and cut in the lard/coconut oil using a pastry blender or two knives, until the flour looks like very grainy sand. Slowly add the hot water, little by little until the dough comes together and is easily handled and not sticky. You don't want it too dry though!
Knead the dough a bit until smooth and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes covered with a damp towel.
Heat a large skillet or griddle.
Divide the dough into 8-10 balls and using 2 pieces of parchment paper, press flat using either a tortilla press or a large flat bottomed pot. Press as thin as you like.
Peel the top piece of parchment off and using the bottom piece, flip the tortilla into the hot skillet and peel off the bottom piece of parchment. Let the tortilla cook about 2 minutes and carefully flip it over and cook another two or so minutes, then flip it one more time.
Remove the tortilla and let it cool a little on a place. Then place it into a zip lock bag while warm. Repeat until all the tortillas are made.
Tip: putting them into the zip lock bag while warm will ensure they stay moist and pliable if you don't eat them all right then and there!

As I said, I really did like the flavor of these, though I suspect the rice flour in the mix may have been one reason they didn't hold up so well for soft tacos. I think I'll try them again, using a bit more coconut oil and less water, that may help make a bit of a difference or try from scratch making my own flour blend. Either way, when I do make them again, I'll post updates. These still would be fab for wraps or a burrito!

Let me know if you try either recipe and how it came out for you and what you think of the Tinga de Pollo if you make it. It really is good and one of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment