Thursday, August 28, 2014

Yes it's Canning Season, and Yes I cannot say no to the bounty....

I am fortunate in that the place I live grows a huge bounty of wonderful foods. And with all the bounty that is available at the Farmer's markets, farms for u-pick and wonderful people here in the valley that let you come pick their unwanted fruit, well, as my sister keeps saying, maybe I do need an intervention!

I simply cannot help myself! I LOVE all these wonderful amazing things that are growing! And one way to ensure I can enjoy this amazing bounty through the winter into spring is to preserve, pickle, freeze and can delicious foods.

Last weekend it was to pick plums and bosc and bartlett pears. OH MY! I've made chutney, spiced plums in blackberry port that I also made, an asian plum sauce, and this evening spicy plum barbecue sauce. I love barbecue sauces! So versatile!

I know with all the goodies I've put up with tomatoes, okra, pickles, curry pickled veggies and such, I should probably catch up and share most of my recipes!

And if it weren't for a friend who also cans asking for this recipe, I'd probably get distracted and not share this one.

I'm still learning all the types of plums and fruits that grow here. Way too many varieties to remember!

Anyhow, I had just a little more than 3 lbs left of these and they are ripening fast, so I set out this evening to make a spicy plum barbecue sauce. And I will say, it's very tasty!




Yeah, I'll make this one again..... very good, I can see it basting a ham for Thanksgiving supper. OH BOY!

Spicy Plum Barbecue Sauce 



Makes 3 pints



Ingredients:
3 to 3.5 lbs of ripe plums
4 large cloves of garlic roughly chopped
1 Tbl minced ginger
5 thin slices of lemon
1/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup raw organic cane sugar (it will have some of the molasses in it, and be gold colored) or use 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl Corriander seeds
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbl peppercorns
Sage leaves, about 4 of them
1 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tbl red chile powder
2 tsp sea salt



Wash, pit and chop plums and add to stockpot with sugar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and let plums start to cook a bit.



Make a spice bag with cheese cloth containing the lemon slices, pepper corns, ginger, garlic cloves, coriander, cumin, and sage and tie it closed.



Add the chile powder, garlic, vinegar, salt and worcestershire to the plums and add your spice bag. Stir and cook the plums down till extremely tender at a simmer, stirring occasionally. Approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and carefully remove the spice bag to a bowl. Using a spoon, press all the juices out and return the juices to the pot. Either carefully using your food processor or immersion blender stick, puree the fruit in the pot, or if you used your food processor, return the puree to the pot. Check the taste and adjust any seasoning.



Return the sauce to the heat and simmer another 15 minutes while you prepare your jars and lids. Make sure your water bath pot or steamer is ready.



Ladle the sauce into 3 pint jars leaving about 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims and seal. Process in a water bath for 15 minutes and let the jars cool 24 hours on a towel.



If you don't want to can this for use later, you can store it in jars in the refrigerator up to a month.



I promise it's easy to make, no peeling, and it's very yummy! I cannot wait to have some after the flavors have had a chance to meld a bit more.



This weekend I'll be doing MORE tomatoes into sauce; pick, roast and freeze green chilies; process the ripe pears into a couple of tasty things; and find green beans to make dilly beans! Who knows what else I'll run across! And personally, who cares? I'm having fun, I enjoy it and enjoy meeting so many wonderful people. Thank heavens though I have a 3 day weekend this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment