Thursday, December 6, 2012

Yummy easy Salvadoran Quesadillas

I'm not sure whether or not you'd classify these as muffins, little cakes or what, but all I know is they are divine and easy to make! And they won't last long in your house.

These are adapted from a basic recipe, that used sugar and butter, and that is already gluten free. I've made them two ways, with the sugar and butter in the original recipe, and I have used honey and coconut oil in stead of the sugar and butter. Personally they're much better with the honey and coconut oil. They're moister, and have that wonderful honey in them. Which reminds me of when I used to put butter and honey on my cornbread when I could have it. Coconut oil lends a richness of flavor and a rich feeling to the mouth as you eat them in my humble opinion.

And yes, they really are heavenly!

These don't take long to make, you don't even need the mixer out if you don't want to. And really, I can honestly say that once you and your family taste them, they'll disappear fast, and they'll want you to make them often.

They're good for a nice treat with your meal or at the breakfast table. And because I make them with Honey and coconut oil, they're better for you in some regards. No processed sugar, and you get the good fats.

This is also a wonderful item to take to a party over the holidays. I've done it at work, and many folks have asked for the recipe as they were busily munching on one while they hold a second one in the other hand!

So, here goes.... give them a try and let me know what you think!


Gluten Free Salvadoran Quesadillas

 140 g Rice flour (white or brown) (1 cup)
¼ cup Golden Flax Meal
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1 cup Honey (or you can use sugar, but they won't be as moist!)
1 stick of unsalted butter or ¾ cup coconut oil (I used coconut oil, it makes them richer) melted
3 large eggs
1 cup greek yogurt, plain (or use sour cream)
1/2 cup hard cheese, grated like Romano, Parmesan, Cotija (I prefer Romano or Cotija)
Sesame seeds to sprinkle on tops

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or line 2 muffin tins (I grease with coconut oil) and set aside
 Whisk flour, flax meal, baking powder, and salt together. in a mixing bowl, In a separate bowl cream the honey and butter or coconut oil together. Add eggs one at a time beating until incorporated. Add the yogurt or sour cream and cheese then add the dry to the wet ingredients. Mix/whisk until well incorporated, no need to whip.
Fill muffin tins almost ½ to ¾ full, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Let cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes then either serve warm or finish cooling on wire racks.


ENJOY! Be sure to let me know what you think of them if you try them!

No comments:

Post a Comment